Monday, 23 July 2012

And then reality hit...

Ok maybe that title is a little over dramatic.

But when my workmate asked me "Has the reality of what you're doing hit you yet?" I did feel a shiver of fear.

It is true that I'm starting to become more aware of the fact that I am ACTUALLY going to Spain- it's not a dream/fantasy/possible nightmare. My confirmation forms are away. I haven't heard back from my school yet but the British Council told me that's perfectly normal and I may not hear back until September.



I've been researching flights and it looks like it's going to be a pretty long journey to get there at any sensible hour. The one good thing about going up and down to uni every week is that I've become completely used to and comfortable with travelling so I'm not too bothered about spending hours on the road. Cheeky wee travel sickness tablet, an ipod and a book and you'll have bother getting me back on flat ground to be honest. (Seriously anyone who has trouble with travel sickness try Stugeron, it works amazingly well) Besides there's no way I'm not travelling round Spain just because it'll mean an early start and a long trip so I may as well get used to it!

When I say I've been researching flights that doesn't mean I've thought about buying them yet. That would be far too terrifying.

There's also insurance to buy, and of course every company has THE BEST POLICY EVER YOU JUST HAVE TO BUY, until you want to make a claim of course, in which case our line is busy.

Oh and I have decided that I'm definitely going to try and find accommodation in Almería and travel to work each day- there's a bus every 15 minutes and I don't think I could cope not living in a city anymore! Also anything which means I can walk to a central station and ask about train/bus times has to be a plus. After spending 2 hours + trying to figure out Spanish bus websites and finding out that renfe.es was described by Trip Advisor as "Like Alice in Wonderland where nothing seems to be what it really is" I think I'll stick to working out my travel in person!

Oh dear this post has a very negative tone doesn't it? No, I'm still very excited and pleased to be going- I'll just be more happy once I get there in one piece!

Hasta la vista :)

No comments:

Post a Comment