Monday, 3 September 2012

The Little Book of Spain.

I ran a 10k race yesterday and am now too stiff to do anything requiring more movement than typing. Consequently I felt this would be the perfect time for a blog update.

So as promised I thought I'd give you a little insight into my Spain-diary-list-reminder-thing.

I've already given you my Resoultions and mantra.

So what else is in it.

1. Why I'm doing this. This is just a very simple reminder that I can see everytime I open the book. It reminds me that I am getting paid a very reasonable wage to live on the beach in the South of Spain for at least 9 months. Talk about once in a lifetime....


2. Pre-departure checklist. When I initially wrote this I thought I was being over fussy but it's turned out to be quite a lifesaver organisation wise. It includes 4 weeks to go, 2 weeks, 1 week, 3days and night before. While writing it I remembered some pretty crucial things like backing up my photos/documents onto my hard drive, and ordering a credit card.




3. Packing. This too deserves a blogpost of it's own so I'll come back to this at a later date!

4. Arrival to do list. Arriving will probably be fairly overwhelming so a simple list of what I have to do in that first week should stop me from looking like a deer in the headlights. It includes: book into hostel, flat hunt, get bank account, get NIE, register with a doctor, get a local SIM, possibly register with FCO locate, attend induction, visit school prior to first day.




5. Personal documentation. Just a simple practical list of all the personal documentation I'm bringing with me. If any of it gets lost or misplaced it'll hopefully remind me to replace it asap.





6. Numbers and Addresses. I love letter writing even though I hardly ever do it. It's more considerate than an email or facebook message because you have to think about what you say before you write it down- you can't just copy and paste sections or delete mistakes. I intend to travel around Spain quite a bit and I assume a 3 hour train journey will go much faster with a pen and paper. The phone numbers are in case I lose my phone or the battery dies while I'm away for a few days. There are some people I can't do without :)


7. Places I want to visit. Okaaay, now the fun stuff! List number one are my top priority visits, the second list is where I'd like to go if I can. I'll just give you list one: Seville, Madrid, Valencia, Malaga, Murcia, Cabo de Gata, Granada.
All fairly realistic for my position, so hopefully I'll get more adventurous as the year goes on.




8. Useful websites. I have actually filled this out since I took the picture, mostly with advice from the British Council Packs however I haven't checked out the sites. I'll update again once I figure out which ones are actually useful.



9. Todo lo que quiero hacer. I've added the 'lo' now...grammar is very rusty... Yes this is the REALLY fun one- everything I really want to DO in Spain. It's not city specific so obviously I'll think of ones throughout the year for places I visit (like attend the Semana Santa in Malaga/Seville) but this is a list I can try where I'm living. The list is in full below and I'd love more suggestions!





  • Flamenco dancing
  • Spanish cooking
  • Eat tapas
  • Visit an art gallery
  • Go to the theatre
  • Go to a local gig
  • Go to the cinema
  • Watch the sunrise
  • Try out an intercambio
  • Keep a memory wall
  • Go to a festival/street party
  • Go cycling
  • Go to a live football match
  • Go to a discoteca
  • Have a picnis
  • Keep a diary
  • Keep a blog
  • Try salsa dancing
I'm intending to call the school again this week if I haven't heard by Wednesday... Wish me luck!

xx










1

2 comments:

  1. Why is there no "nationality i want Boris to meet" page

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so long since anyone took the piss about that I momentarily wondered "Why would I care who Boris Johnson meets while I'm away..."

    ReplyDelete